Sunday 1 June 2008

Top Internet Trend: Digital World Becomes Filled With Big Bunch Of Know-It-Alls

Gartner came out with a list of top 10 technologies. What struck me most about the list was the comments. Every other comment was "duh no kidding" "In other news fire is hot"

Are people not excited anymore? Does everyone know everything? Are we all going to be forced to hang out with the "it" crowd at a conferences who "get it" and sit and whine about how no one else does?

One of the things on the list of Gartner's list was Virtualization and fabric computing. So these peeps can all tell me how this is going to change the Web? Vanessa (who is usually on the bleeding technology edge) started talking to me about it about 8 months ago and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it and its possible future affects.

So here's my prediction for the next few years. Top internet trend: Digital world becomes filled with a bunch of know-it-alls who miss the forest for the trees. They then realize we are only beginning to understand how any of these technologies are impacting our lives on a daily basis and eventually get over themselves and start having fun again.

As for me, I'll just continue to be one of the 'don't get it' crowd, scratch my head, talk to everyone I can, and try to get as many perspectives on stuff that continues to blows my mind.

4 comments:

David Himel said...

Your a classic contrarian! I want more insights!

Gavin Heaton said...

Gartner have a tech angle because that is who pays them. But what they call FABRIC computing is probably something closer to the trend you have identified -- that after we all get over ourselves, we will find that all this technology is really just about finding fun people to hang out with (no matter where in the world you may be).

This is where consumer brands will have a fun time and tech brands will struggle to keep up.

Oh, and don't tell me you don't get it. You so get it. And I think, it gets you ;)

Leigh said...

I thought fabric computing (as they were talking about) was more about virtual appliances et al. That I don't get. The having fun part though, I'm all over that ;-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Real Time Web Analytics