Wednesday 16 January 2008

Scrabbled Marketing Brains If You Ask Me

The makers of scrabble want facebook to take down the Scrabulous app.

Mathew calls it dumb, and I call it bad marketing. In an age where customers are creating brands, the makers of scrabble have the ability to leverage rather than rip down. Sure as Mathew suggests, they could just buy it, but even if they don't, I can think of a myriad of very cool ways they could build community around it.

And just to add on another anecdote to Mathew's of my own - my family has been having a bunch of battles online - we are convinced my brother David is cheating. We have now challenged him to a live game of scrabble that's not during the xmas holidays. When was the last time that happened?

Talk about the old school mentality of marketing. Get networked Hasbro and unscrabble your marketing brains.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Oh god, don't write about marketing. The horror...

Leigh said...

If you don't talk about bikes on your blog, I promise I won't talk about marketing ;-)

 
Real Time Web Analytics